Episode 28 | Top 5 Shortcuts To Scale Your Brand
with M13 Co-Founder Courtney Reum
We’re currently experiencing a golden age for startup brands. It’s easier today to launch, build, and scale a consumer brand than perhaps any other time in history.
But that’s not to say it’s easy.
Startup brands still face obstacles, old and new, including how to stand out from the glut of new brands, how to adapt to the constantly shifting landscape of retail, and how to best leverage the wide array of data and tools now available at their fingertips.
Luckily for us, Courtney Reum is here to answer those questions.
Courtney and his brother Carter are the co-founders of M13, a brand development and investment company that accelerates businesses at the nexus of consumer products, technology, and media.
I.e., Courtney is perfect for Brand Builder.
With brands like Lyft, Pinterest, Snapchat, Chomps, and Sambazon, M13’s portfolio is downright impressive.
Courtney and Carter recently compiled their brand building expertise in a best-selling book called Shortcut Your Startup, and he shared a few of these top tips in this week’s episode.
Prior to M13, Courtney’s main focus was building VEEV, the first acai infused vodka in the world and one of the fastest growing spirits in the US. Not surprisingly, VEEV was snatched up and acquired in 2016.
Courtney gives a glimpse into the book with a few of his shortcuts –
- Role of brand in frictionless scaling. 11:55
- How to make sure you don’t miss out on a key insight. 17:45
- Why it’s important to know whether your brand is a “speedboat” or a “sailboat.” 22:45
- The power of “heart-based” momentum. 24:47
- Why success doesn’t necessarily equate to an exit. 26:09
- Shortcut Your Startup by Courtney and Carter Reum
- Today’s Snack on This spotlight – Zunta Bar
- Connect with Courtney on LinkedIn
- Courtney’s Awesome Office interview
Have an idea for the show? Drop us a line! Brandbuilder@snacknation.com.