Home for the Holidays – Holiday Travel Snack Survival Guide
For some of us, the holidays are a joyous time, filled with carefree days spent with family and friends.
For the rest of us, the beginning of winter means something quite different.
The winter months contain some of the busiest travel days of the year – meaning long lines at airport security, inclement weather, and all sorts of logistical headaches preventing you from getting from point A to point B.
Yes, getting over the river and through the woods can be exhausting work. Luckily, our SnackNation Snack Geniuses have exactly what you need to power through.
1. Find Inner Peace at Airport Security with Vegan Rob’s Brussel Sprout and Cheddar Puffs
Who says stress eating has to be bad for you?
Find inner peace as you trudge through TSA with Vegan Rob’s, the delicious snack that enables you to “meditate and focus on the crunch.”
Luckily, Vegan Rob’s is super delicious and super nutritious. As the name implies, Vegan Rob’s are certified vegan – even their delicious Cheddar Puffs contain no dairy or animal products of any kind. These tasty puffs contain three grams of plant-based protein, and loads of flavor.
And don’t fret, these come in TSA approved packaging. (We checked.)
2. Go on a Taste Vacation with Hawaiian Kettle Style Potato Chips
Sure, you might be headed to a town with three feet of snow on the ground, but for that two hours and forty minutes while you’re up in the air, why not pretend you’re headed to somewhere a little more tropical?
You can with Hawaiian Kettle Style Potato Chips. Their sweet and tangy Luau BBQ flavor will transport you to a secluded beach on Maui – before you land in slushy Buffalo.
These crispy, golden chips are lovingly made one batch at a time, and with only 140 calories per pack, no trans fat, and just 2 grams of sugar, they make for guilt-free munching.
3. Road Trip lt with Eatsmart Veggie Crisps
Not all holiday travel involves airports – but that doesn’t mean it isn’t just as taxing. For the road warriors out there, don’t leave without stashing the bold flavors of nature in your glove box.
That’s what you get with Eatsmart’s Sea Salt Garden Veggie Crisps, which contain the delicious flavors only nature can provide. These crisps are cooked to a light, crunchy texture using 100% expeller pressed sunflower oil – meaning no harsh chemical solvents are used in the process, and no grease for your hands.
Three grams of protein and just 160 calories will give the right amount of energy for your road adventure.
4. Avoid Food Coma with Rawxie’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar
How many times has this happened to you: it’s the biggest holiday of the year, and the whole family is there. Distracted by the preparations of a big dinner, your family forgets to provide any lunch. By 4:30, you’re about ready to gnaw your own hand off.
Once dinner is served, you tear into the steaming turkey with reckless abandon, you dive headfirst into potatoes and gravy – only to regret every decision in your life that led to this moment a mere twenty minutes later.
No matter how you celebrate, the holidays usually include gorging on at least one giant meal. (You know, the type that makes you break out your elastic-waisted “eating pants.”)
Don’t let this happen again this year. Before you eat yourself into a stupor, tame your hunger with Rawxie’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar.
At 130 calories and 4 grams of protein, these deliciously clean treats are just enough to tide you over until dinner is served. Plus, they’re non-GMO, vegan, and perfect for on-the-go snacking. Stick one in your pocket or purse and never wear eating pants again.
5. Be A Holiday Hero with Versatile Wonderful Pistachios
We know we’ve taken a slightly tongue-in-cheek tone in this post, but as frustrating as holiday travel can be, it really is worth it to be able to pause and spend quality time with loved ones. Why not express your appreciation to your family by showing up with this light yet wintery pistachio-infused cake?
Wonderful’s roasted and salted pistachios are simplicity perfected – and with ample protein, fiber, and healthy fats, they make for a surprisingly versatile healthy ingredient for tons of recipes. Here’s one that will make you a Holiday Hero:
Wonderful Pistachios Cake with Yogurt and Winter Citrus
Prep: 25 minutes | Time to Table: 1 hour 45 minutes | Serves 8
- 11⁄4 cups shelled Wonderful Pistachios
- Roasted & Salted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup granulated sugar,
- plus 1 tablespoon
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 oranges, segmented, 1⁄2 cup
- juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt
- Garnish with shelled Wonderful Pistachios
- Roasted & Salted, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 325°F. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Whisk together sifted all-purpose flour, baking powder, and nutmeg in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine 1⁄4 cup of Wonderful Pistachios and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a food processor until they are fine crumbs. Remove from food processor and set aside.
- Pulse remaining 1 cup Wonderful Pistachios until finely chopped and some pea-sized pieces remain.
- Beat butter and 1 cup sugar in bowl of an electric mixer. Add the vanilla extract, then the eggs one at a time, beating to incorporate in mixture between each egg. Beat for 1 minute after adding the last egg so the mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in flour mixture just until incorporated then stir in pulsed Wonderful Pistachios by hand.
- Spread batter evenly in the prepared cake pan and sprinkle the finely processed sugar and Wonderful Pistachios crumb mixture on top. Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan, then gently remove.
- Combine reserved orange juice and honey for glaze in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and cool.
- Top cake with dollops of yogurt then orange segments. Garnish generously with extra coarsely chopped Wonderful Pistachios and drizzle glaze over entire cake.
More at GetCrackin.com.