Spicy Bacon Mac & Cheese Recipe – American Flag edition
Just in time for summer cookouts, this American flag themed spicy baked mac & cheese recipe is the perfect way to celebrate our freedom AND will blow up your Instagram. Sure you could make your own bacon, but we like to save time, avoid that greasy mess and add tons of flavor by using Chef’s Cut uncured bacon jerky! The sriracha flavor adds extra kick, but if you want less spice, try their Applewood or Maple flavors.
Spicy baked mac and cheese with bacon
- 3 cups dry elbow macaroni – to be cooked al dente
- 1 cup jalapeño pepper, seeded & diced (or leave seeds for more heat)
- 1 cup Chef’s Cut Real Bacon Jerky – Sriracha flavor, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups pepper jack, shredded
- 2 cups smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 cups milk (not skim)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 packages (6 oz) Chef’s Cut Real Bacon Jerky – Sriracha flavor
- 1/2 cup extra shredded mozzarella to top
- 1 cup blue corn tortilla chips, crushed
- 8 marble sized chunks of pepper jack
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a high sided pan.
- Add the jalapeño peppers and saute one minute.
- Stir in the flour and cook 1-2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the milk, salt and pepper and cook about 8 minutes until starts to bubble and thickens–about 8 minutes or so.
- Stir in the cheeses and mix until melted and smooth.
- Add the chopped bacon.
- Add the noodles and stir.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish & spread evenly.
- Sprinkle extra shredded mozzarella to cover entire surface.
- Create stripes with bacon strips. *Optional for bright red bacon – add the bacon stripes AFTER baking.
- Create stars with crushed blue chips and chunks of pepper jack.
- Bake uncovered 20 minutes until bubbly.
Sure you could make your own bacon, but we like to save time, clean up and add tons of flavor by using Chef’s Cut real jerky bacon! Sriracha flavor adds extra kick, but if you want less spice, try Applewood or Maple flavors.